Taree Australia Day Celebrations
The 2015 Taree celebrations will be held at the Manning Entertainment Centre on Monday 26 January.
The day will begin at 7:30am with a free breakfast (sausages, egg and bacon sandwiches) and entertainment featuring Matt Zarb, Sweet Nothin, Greater Taree City Band, and the Gymaroos gymnastic display. Free tattoos and flags will be available for the children who can also receive a free voucher to use at the Manning Aquatic Leisure Centre for that day.
The official ceremony will begin at 9am with Biripi Elder Aunty Barbara Clarke OAM performing a traditional Welcome to Country, followed by the flag placement and an address by Greater Taree City Mayor Paul Hogan. The national anthem will be lead by local musician Matt Zarb and the Young Speaker's address this year will be given by Taree High School Captains Thomas Fletcher and Lily Minihan, followed by the citizenship and public affirmation ceremonies.
Australia Day Ambassador Alan Small will address the crowd, and the nominations received for the Australia Day awards are in the following categories:
- Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year
- Community Event of the Year
- Ken McDonald Memorial Sportstar of the Year
The ceremony will finish by 10am and then this is followed by a morning tea put on by local service clubs.
Celebrations around the Manning Valley
Australia Day will be celebrated across the Manning Valley in various locations all with flag raising and formal ceremony.
- Wingham Central Park - 7:30am free breakfast and 8am flag raising by the Wingham Scouts, welcome address by Councillor Jenkins, addresses by Wingham High School captain Maitlin Brown and Wingham Public School captain Dimity Bartlett, and awards presentation by the Wingham Rotary Club.
- Old Bar Public School - 7am free breakfast - 8am flag raising, addresses by Stephen Bromhead MP, Councillor David West, Old Bar and Mitchells Island School leaders, and an awards presentation to Old Bar Citizen of the Year.
- Harrington Memorial Hall - 7:45am breakfast - 8:45am flag raising, addresses by Leslie Williams MP, guest speakers and Australia Day community awards for Youth of the Year, Sportsperson of the Year, Junior Citizen of the Year and Citizen of the Year presented by Harrington Crowdy Head Chamber of Commerce Industry & Tourism.
- Hallidays Point - Celebrations conducted by Hallidays Point Lions Club - 7am breakfast on the beach near Black Head Ocean Baths - 8am flag raising, welcome addresses by Lions President Vaughn Parker, Lions Ambassador, and Councillor Alan Tickle representing the Mayor, and announcement of the Lions Club Citizen of the Year.
- Taree - 7.30am free breakfast and entertainment at Manning Entertainment Centre. Official ceremony with Mayor and Australia Day Ambassador starts at 9am. Citizenship ceremony and Greater Taree City Council Australia Day Awards for Citizen, Young Citizen, Community Event and Ken McDonald Memorial Sportstar of the Year for 2015 awarded.